In February of 2010, the Howard County Council unanimously approved a 30-year master plan and zoning for downtown Columbia. Over the life of the downtown development project as much as 13 million square feet of retail, commercial, residential, hotel and cultural development is planned.
- Up to 5,500 new residential units
- 4.3 million square feet commercial office space
- 1.25 million square feet of retail space
- 640 hotel rooms
- Merriweather Post Pavilion redevelopment
- Multi-modal transportation system development
The master plan also has sustainability features, including measurable goals for saving energy and water, improving public transportation, ecology and livability. It will be walkable, feature extensive bike trails and have improved watersheds and storm water management systems. Green technologies and building standards will be utilized.